Pages

08 July 2012

Handle with Care

I've just finished reading 'Fragile Things', a collection of short stories and poems by one of my all time favourite writers, Neil Gaiman.

'Fragile Things' by
Neil Gaiman (Headline
Review, 2006)
'Fragile Things' is an eclectic parcel of work which, typically for Gaiman, is hard to pigeon hole, even for the sake of review.  Some stories verge on science fiction (e.g. the Holmesian 'A Study in Emerald' and 'Goliath', a story from the world of 'The Matrix'), while others are funny (such as 'Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Secret House of the Night of Dread Desire').  Some resemble classically eerie ghost tales (like 'October in the Chair' and 'Closing Time'), others disturbing crime stories (e.g. 'Keepsakes and Treasures' featuring the kind of influential characters I really hope don't exist in real life) and the nightmarishly frightening (including 'Feeders and Eaters' and 'The Flints of Memory Lane'.  The former will definitely stay with me a long time, which is weird because it's creepy rather than horrific!).  The collection ends with a novella called 'The Monarch of the Glen', a companion piece to Gaiman's fantastic novel 'American Gods', which draws upon Ancient Norse mythology and doesn't shy away from ratcheting up the tension!

Although I've not read any of his graphic novels, I have read and enjoyed all of Mr Gaiman's adult fiction and his last collection of shorts, 'Smoke and Mirrors'.  To me, 'Fragile Things' felt a lot darker and more haunting than the other books I've read and made me wish I was all wrapped up in bed, safe and sound at times!  Not that being creeped out by what I'm reading is a bad thing.  In fact, it's arguably right on the Zeitgeist for a summer of perpetual rain, which feels more like November than July!

Overall, Mr Gaiman has once again successfully put his unique stamp on a range of niche genres here, delivering many stories which will stay with me for a very long time and for the right reasons.  I'd recommend 'Fragile Things' as something for fans of Science Fiction, Horror and Gothic ghost stories to try, but I wouldn't guarantee that everyone will like every story or poem!  Ultimately, it comes down to more than just genre - it's about the whole package, whether you like Mr Gaiman as a writer, his style and the way he thinks.

Gaiman fans will find much to enjoy here, although be careful you don't get caught out by the darker tone of this volume.  The fact 'Fragile Things' is short fiction also means it's a great opportunity for genre fans to open it up and taking their pick of what's inside.  Don't have nightmares now!