In ‘Last Rites’, his final autobiography, Ozzy Osborne admits that he once became addicted to ice cream. He even hired a specialist chef to make it for him. Talk about being full of surprises.
By the time he wrote this book, Osbourne knew he was
reaching the end of his extraordinary life.
And he wasn’t being paranoid; famously the book was finished just a few
days before he died.
During his final act, Osbourne had two serious accidents,
multiple major surgeries, stubborn infections and a Parkinson’s diagnosis. Prolonged convalescence and cancelled tours
meant he had time to reflect on his life, and this book is the result.
‘Last Rites’ was exactly what I hoped for from the notorious
bat-beheader-come-latter day national treasure.
Cleverly written in Osbourne’s unique voice, I felt like I was sitting
next to the mellowing rock star as he reminisced about the highs and the lows,
the choices he’d made, the friends loved and lost.
By turns reflective, self-depreciating and funny, Osbourne
meanders through recent events while constantly returning to the big question;
why was he still alive when so many of his friends and contemporaries were not?
I’m no heavy metal fan, but I found much to enjoy in ‘Last
Rites’. It felt like a greatest hits of
anecdotes so I suspect it will have less appeal for those more familiar with
Osbourne’s life and work, but, as a casual reader, I found it endearing and
entertaining. To think they called him
‘The Prince of Darkness’.
The paperback edition of ‘Last Rites’ by Ozzy Osbourne and Chris Ayres was published by Little, Brown in 2026. This review originally appeared in issue 95 of the Yeovil Press.