04 July 2026

A Sceptic's Guide to Alien Encounters

Are we alone in the universe? It's a question everyone asks, sooner or later. It's also a question that's fascinated astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson since childhood, and which led to his latest book, 'Take Me to Your Leader: Perspectives on Your First Alien Encounter'.

Who, What, How

Drawing from science and popular culture, 'Take me to your Leader' takes a structured, logical and practical approach to how contact may look between human and extra-terrestrial cultures - whether that's aliens picking up rogue signals from our planet (and consequently deciding to give us a wide berth), or strange beings landing on terra firma and asking the eponymous "Take me to your leader".

The author explores what non-Earth species may look like, how they might communicate, and how they might travel. How could alien physiology and technology compare to ours? Would extra-terrestrial species use and understand words and grammar, or could maths be the true universal language? And this is before we even get to conspiracies, cover-ups and the search for signs of life beyond Earth.

Thought Experiment

'Take Me to Your Leader' reads like a light-hearted thought experiment by someone knowledgeable and intrigued about the idea of alien life and what it might mean for humanity. It feels almost like a pub chat, the sort of discussion that might happen around the roaring fire of an old-fashioned inn between academics mellowed by a substantial supper and good port. deGrass Tyson manages to reframe a subject rarely seen through a skeptic's eye and in a way that is largely easy to get your head around. Even where I didn't get the details, I understood the general points.

Now for the Science Bit

'Take Me to Your Leader' starts well, but I found it petered out a little towards the end. To be fair, I think I got a little lost once we got to the heavier 'science bit', but up until that point I was intrigued and my thoughts thoroughly provoked. 

It's also harder to keep faith in non-fiction that contains errors, even if minor but easy to check (e.g. Oscar Wilde was Irish and 'Die Another Day' starred Pierce Brosnan not Daniel Craig.) 

Overall

I enjoyed this fresh, factual yet largely accessible reflection on alien encounters. It was good to bring some scientific realism to a topic that's too often dominated by chilling alien abduction stories, unpleasant stereotypes and Hollywood hokum. I would recommend 'Take Me to Your Leader' to anyone interested in a more serious approach and who is keen to go boldly where not enough people have gone before.

Now, what next..? 

'Take Me to Your Leader' by Neil DeGrasse Tyson was published in May 2026.  This review is based on the hardback copy, provided by the publishers.