Pages

13 June 2014

Reading Voices (Again)...

Before I start, I want to make one thing clear.  I'm reviewing the book, not the author.  I say this because I've just finished 'A Host of Voices' by Doris Stokes, which includes the third and fourth autobiographies written by the popular psychic medium, and understand her to be a controversial figure to some.

'A Host of Voices' by
Doris Stokes
(Warner Books, 2000)
'A Host of Voices' is two books in one.  'Innocent Voices in My Ear' explores Mrs Stokes particular affinity with parents who have lost children, a connection she feels keenly due to the passing of her only child as a baby. 'Whispering Voices' is broader and covers a range of personal and public events, demonstrations and sittings that took place in around 1984-5.

There are three collections of Doris Stokes' autobiographies and I've now read all of them.  Although I'm not sure I have an opinion on her beliefs, her books have a very easy style and before I've realised it I'm already 50 pages in.  If only more books were like that!  Although where would the challenge be then?

'A Host of Voices' was no exception to this.  It has a charming style that made me feel like I was visiting an elderly relative and she was telling stories about her life and experiences.  'Innocent Voices in my Ear' was a bit of an emotional roller coaster because of the subject matter, so while the style was easy going, sometimes the lives described weren't.  As such, it's not really for the faint hearted.  Or those without hanky to hand.

My favourite chapters were where Stokes talked about her life rather than just relaying the stories of her sitters and celebrity contacts, in this world and the next.  Unfortunately, these were quite few, although I suspect much of this was probably covered in her first to autobiographies.

'Whispering Voices' wasn't as much of a success.  It felt a little as though Mrs Stokes' first three books had been so popular she was encouraged to write a third.  Unfortunately, the source material seems to be running out by this stage and it almost feels as if it's being written as events happen, until there's enough text for a book.  By the end, whole chapters are being devoted to reprinted articles about Mrs Stokes and poetry she's been sent by her admirers.  The former would be more interesting as part of an analysis of Stokes in a socio-cultural context and the latter really only illustrate the author's respect for what her correspondents send her. Which is lovely, but doesn't make for a good read.

Overall, if you are interested in the popular culture of the 1970s and '80s or spiritualism, 'A Host of Voices' and its companions are interesting and, somehow, easy reads, despite being full of loss, crime and suicide.  I think a certain amount of detachment helps the casual reader, although maybe I've just been hardened by reading so many sad stories.  Anyway, I suspect you already know if this is your sort of read or not!

Now the days are longer, I'm hoping to get my teeth (or should that be my head?) into a few more titles.  Although I'm not doing myself any favours at the moment - am part way through two paperpacks, one hard back, an ebook and an audiobook.  But at least I'm reading (or listening!), so watch this space or follow me on Twitter for updates!

Related Posts

Getting into the Spirit of Things...