Pages

04 August 2018

Finely Tuned

'The Sing of the Shore' by Lucy Wood


It's been a good year for new publications and I've reeled a number of great sounding newbies onto my 'Would Like to Read' list recently.  One that caught my eye was the 'The Sing of the Shore', a collection of Cornwall-set short stories by Lucy Wood.  As you probably know by now, I love a good short story, and, thanks to my local library, I got a chance to try these.

Wood's book of 13 connected tales explores themes of curiosity, fear and isolation in a rural Cornwall dominated by the whims of holidaymakers and the forces of nature.  Characters' lives play out to the unceasing soundtrack of the waves crashing against the county's famously rugged and beautiful coastline.  For some, the sea offers escape from the monotony of family life.  For others, its a source of obsession.  Nosey children explore empty holiday homes, while adults find they won't - or can't - leave, even when the opportunity presents itself.  Friends let each other down, while enemies do the unthinkable.  Whether born-and-bred or retirees, all are held by the siren call of the sea as it ceaselessly gnaws at the shore and the psyche alike...

'The Sing of the Shore' is as haunting, enchanting and sinister as the landscape that inspired it.  Weeks later, I'm still being drawn back to these intriguing tales and I have no doubt that I'll get even more out of them with future readings.

Like the work of another Cornish author, Daphne Du Maurier, this collection defies genre, with elements of coming of age, science fiction, crime and gothic horror all making their presence felt.  Some stories made me laugh, some made me gasp, but they all made me wonder.

Often poignant, often darkly funny, these tales twist the sunshine and sandcastles image of Cornwall to show a shady underbelly where things are not always well.  As soon as I finished reading, I wanted to start again, which has to be the greatest compliment you can give a book.

'The Sing of the Shore' was music to my ears and I'd thoroughly recommend it to fans of the interesting and the gothic.  Although it may be some time before you stop hearing the crash of the waves as you drift off to sleep.

Now, what next...