Pages

07 May 2018

Apocalypse Then

As you may have noticed, there's been a bit of a blogging drought recently.  Having had a brilliant start to the year, all of a sudden I found that I couldn't settle to anything in particular.  I'm currently part way through eight books.  Even for me, that's not unusual!  Desperate for an inspirational read, I spotted a tweet from Allen and Unwin (@AllenandUnwinUK) about 'The Last Hours' by Minette Walters.  They were looking for bloggers to review it, but would it be the answer to my prayers?
'The Last Hours'
by Minette Walters
(Allen & Unwin, 2017)

It's summer 1348 when the Black Death arrives in England via the Dorset port of Melcombe.  Before the population realises the danger, this most heinous disease is spreading rapidly across the county, slaying young and old with no regard for money or status.  On the estate of Develish, the compassionate and resourceful Lady Anne decides to take the bold step of bringing the estate's two hundred serfs within the manor house walls, much to the distress of her teenaged daughter Eleanor.  They may be safe from the pestilence, but soon become prey to internal conflicts as the social order shifts and even faith in God is challenged.  Under threat from without and within, how long can the people of Develish last?

'The Last Hours' is Minette Walters first foray into historical fiction and my goodness it's a humdinger.  As you know, I'm a great fan of this genre, and I was particularly interested in this as I've spent quite a lot of time in Dorset (It's beautiful, go visit!), plus I always enjoy reading about different historical eras.

I wasn't sure what to expect as I haven't read any other books by this author, but she's clearly made full use of her 20 years' experience as a successful crime writer in 'The Last Hours'.  It's tense, complex and thrilling.  I couldn't put it down.  After so many disappointing weeks, it was fantastic to have discovered such a real page turner.  My heart was in my mouth until the very last line.

This is the sort of novel that will give you a real 'book hangover'.  Even 547 pages wasn't enough time to spend with the superb cast of characters, in particular Lady Anne and her enigmatic steward Thaddeus Thurkell.  Fortunately, I won't have to wait long as a sequel is already on its way.  Can't wait for 'The Turn of Midnight' in October - although it's got a lot to live up to!

Now, what next...