Pages

04 February 2018

Conflict Resolution

So, in my 2017 review, I said that I wanted to read some more of the books I'd been given in 2018.  I've made a start with 'The Reason You're Alive' by Matthew Quick, sent to me at the end of last year by Picador.

When Vietnam veteran David wakes from a serious brain operation with one name on his mind -
'The Reason You're Alive'
by Matthew Quick
(Picador, 2017)
'Clayton Fire Bear', a fellow soldier he wronged long ago - he realises that he must make amends before it's too late.  But first he has to recover, which means spending more time with the son he doesn't see eye-to-eye with over politics, relationships, food... well, pretty much anything really.  Fortunately, he'll also get to see more of his adored granddaughter Ella and David's friends are happy to help.  There are surprises all round as their worlds collide and old wounds as well as eyes are opened, but ultimately, David mustn't lose sight of the one final mission that must be completed despite his reservations...

This book is written in the first person and, I have to admit, it took me a couple of attempts to get into David's narrative.  It's a credit to the writer, Matthew Quick, that I could hear David's aggressive, no-nonsense voice from the first line, but I had to pick the right moment so his volume wouldn't overwhelm me!  David is curmudgeonly, potty mouthed, authoritative, cranky and opinionated and, for want of a better phrase, a 'real character'.  But once I started reading, I just couldn't put him down and wanted to stay with him through to the end.

This story is about prejudices, assumptions and stereotypes, most obviously for the characters, but also the reader (It's not until they're brilliantly and subtly whipped aside at the end that you realise what cliches you've been harbouring too, without even realising it).  'The Reason You're Alive' is brilliantly crafted, atmospheric and educational, and I loved it.

I'd thoroughly recommend 'The Reason You're Alive'.  Like it's narrator, it's murky, bloody and dark at times, but it's also funny, mischievous and emotional.  A Vietnam vet's story was never going to be all fairy cakes and glitter, but, despite the violence and grief in this tale, by the end you can't help but feel uplifted and energised.  I really can't wait to read more by this wonderfully talented author.

Now, what next...

Links

Matthew Quick's Website