Pages

19 November 2017

Only the Lonely

Now, I know that I should be focussed and just read books that I already have, but sometimes Twitter gets so over-excited about something that I have to find out more.  A great example of this is 'Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine', Gail Honeyman's debut novel.  Twitter, you were right!

'Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine'
by Gail Honeyman
(HarperCollins Publishers. 2017)
Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine.  Since university, she's lived in the same flat, worked in the same job and kept the same regular routine, encompassing the crossword every lunchtime and the vodka each weekend.  As far as she sees it, Eleanor has everything she could practically need and there is no point in acquiring more than that.  The workings of her clockwork existence are interrupted however when Eleanor and a colleague, Raymond, help a pensioner who has collapsed in the street.  The rhythm of her life has changed, but can she change it back again?  And does she really want to?

I really wasn't sure about this book when I started reading it.  We've all gone through periods of loneliness - as awkward teenagers, after disappointing relationships or when starting out in a new city or town - so it felt awkward and almost intrusive to be sticking my nose into Eleanor's space.  As the story progressed and I got to know more about how trapped she actually was, however, I felt I couldn't leave her to her own, unwittingly self-destructive devices.  I'm so glad I stuck with 'Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine'.

I think this a brilliant piece of work and I still can't quite believe that it's Gail Honeyman's first novel.  I really can't wait to see what she does next.  'Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine' is a story of the corners we can think ourselves into, and how even little things can make all the difference.  It's heartbreaking, compassionate, touching and hopeful.  I can't recommend it enough.  Go read it.  Go read it now!

Now, what next...