Pages

19 June 2016

Moon, Light, Shadow

It's been a while since I last read a Poldark novel ('Warleggan' back in July 2014).  I knew that I wanted to read them all, preferably before they're all filmed by the BBC, but was so appalled and shocked by Ross' behaviour in book four that I couldn't quite bring myself to do it.  I have now, however, finished 'The Black Moon' by Winston Graham.  It was so good, I've pretty much gone straight on to book five.

'The Black Moon' begins with Elizabeth, lost love of Ross Poldark and now wife of his enemy George Warleggan, giving birth to a baby boy.  While George rejoices at having
'The Black Moon' by
Winston Graham
(Pan Books, 2008)
 a son, the ancient Aunt Agatha quickly points out that the child has been born under an ominous black moon, a very bad omen.  But for the time being the bad luck shadows others in the household.  Elizabeth's cousin, Morwenna, tutor to Elizabeth's son from a previous marriage, falls in love with Drake Carne, brother of Ross' wife Demelza, sparking a new enmity between the Poldarks and Warleggans.  And Ross has much on his mind already, including the fate of the unfortunate Dr Enys imprisoned in revolutionary France...

This, like the other Poldark novels I've read so far, is absolutely absorbing.  Reading Winston Graham's work is like being launched through time and space into rural Cornwall, but without the travel sickness and overcrowding by holiday-makers.

Having said that, there's always a risk with family saga novels that, as they progress, the number of characters becomes a bit overwhelming and you start needing a list in order to keep track.  I did begin to feel a bit like this when reading the first few books, but Graham seems to have recognised the potential problem and there was enough explanation of who's who to jog my memory without over doing it.  To be fair, there were 20 years between 'Warleggan' and 'The Black Moon', so original readers would have needed some help too!

'The Black Moon' had me on the edge of my seat.  I laughed at Demelza's encounter with French exiles at a dinner party, I sighed at Drake and Morwenna's falling in love, I cheered as Ross sought justice once more, I cried and I gasped at... well, I don't want to give all the details away.  Suffice it to say the fact I couldn't stop myself heading straight for the next book says a lot.  I'm just relieved that I don't have to wait as long as fans in the '70s!