Pages

25 September 2015

Girls on Film

Finishing 'The Kingmaker's Daughter' by Philippa Gregory meant I felt ready to watch the BBC series 'The White Queen', starring Rebecca Ferguson (Elizabeth Woodville), Amanda Hale (Margaret Beaufort, 'The Red Queen') and Faye Marsay (Anne Neville, 'The Kingmaker's Daughter').

Originally broadcast  on BBC One in 2013, 'The White Queen' is based on three of the Cousins' War novels, 'The White Queen', 'The Red Queen' and 'The Kingmaker's Daughter'.  It brings to life a dark and complex world of conspiracies, alliances and dynastic ambition, not to mention all the books' key players.

I'm really glad that I waited until I'd read all three of the source novels before watching this.  The reason why films and TV series often fail to convince readers is simply because their writers can't squeeze everything in a book(s) into a few hours of screen time.  This leaves them with a tough choice; cut chunks of the original story or squeeze everything in without covering it properly.  My memory may be letting me down, but I'm pretty sure that the makers of 'The White Queen' went for the latter option, which meant that it was actually a really useful reminder of what happened in the books rather than a standalone piece in its own right.  It may not be what the BBC originally intended, but I feel well prepared for 'The White Princess' and her successors now!

On the whole, I thought the casting was strong and the actors did a good job.  Rebecca Ferguson and the other leading ladies were excellent, but Max Irons (Edward IV) didn't work for me and James Frain (Earl of Warwick) wasn't my image of the Kingmaker at all. Frain's a great actor who I've enjoyed in many other films and programmes, but I feel he's at his best when playing slippery politicians rather than bullish warriors.  I just couldn't imagine him having the physical power to wield a sword in battle, which was slightly distracting.  Just like the books, it was an interesting ensemble piece, however, and it worked because the collective talent present was so strong.  I've spent so much time on IMDb checking people I'd seen somewhere before!

A lot of work had clearly gone into the gorgeous costumes and the use of colour was thoughtful.  Several times I found myself wishing I could wear a few of the stunning gowns - both luxurious and warm looking!  But where were the hats?  Duchess Cecily had a couple of nice bits of headgear,but on the whole they seemed to be completely absent, which seemed a bit odd when they got so many mentions in the books.

The other element I usually like in a historical drama is the locations.  'The White Queen' was filmed in Belgium and provided some stunning backgrounds.  The set piece coronations and court scenes offered a glimpse of medieval glamour and made rooms that seem spartan by today's standards rich and opulent, full of brightly coloured glass and richly embroidered hangings.  But all too often it felt restricted and fairy tale-esque and none of the exteriors really felt like, well, England.

On the whole, I enjoyed 'The White Queen', but it'll probably be a while before I watch it again.  It was a useful revision tool, but on the whole felt too clean and tidy to have the sense of time and place that I always bang on about in historical novels.  On the one hand, I completely understand that the tumble-down structures we see today aren't the highly painted and richly furnished castles and churches our ancestors would've recognised, but equally everything looked a bit too fresh out of the box to be completely believable in this programme.

I've heard rumours that a new series based on 'The White Princess' may follow.  I think I would watch it, but I really do need to read the books first!

Now, back to the books!

Related Links

Official BBC One Website
IMDb site
Philippa Gregory Official Website