Pages

01 January 2014

Review of the Year 2013!

An old year ends and a new one begins and it's time for another check up!

Over the past 12 months, I've read 22 books.  Pretty good you might think, just two off my target for each year.  Just one slight problem.  Five of those books weren't actually on my list in the first place.  'MaddAddam' by Margaret Atwood and 'Consumed' by Harry Wallop, for example, were newly published in 2013, but they caught my eye and before I knew it I was several pages in.  So I think I really need to stop reading book reviews if I'm ever going to read everything I already have!

On the plus side, I've read lots of different genres again this year (which I hope makes my blog varied and entertaining!).  We've had horror ('Fluke' by James Herbert), history ('My Heart is My Own' by John Guy), science fiction ('The Man Who Fell to Earth' by Walter Tevis) and biographical works by Sir Roger Moore and Arabella Weir.  I even read a classic in the form of 'Dracula' by Bram Stoker, although it did take six weeks and I kind of hoped I would read more than just one in 2013.

Later in the year, I decided to try out finishing some sets of books, something I considered in the 2012 review of the year.  This seems to have worked - I've finished Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake trilogy and would've finished Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Stories if he hadn't had the cheek to publish a new one!  I'm already on the case with that, though, and hope to finish it early in 2014.

I also made an attempt on Philippa Gregory's Cousins War series.  Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the second and third books as much as the first, which has put me off reading the fourth, 'The Kingmaker's Daughter'.  Ms Gregory also published a new addition to this series in 2013, 'The White Princess'.  I think I may give this series another go at a later date, but not just yet.

Overall, this strategy has gone well, so I think I will carry it over into 2014 as it gives me a sense of achievement without tying me down too much.  I can still mix and match if the mood takes me or I think you might be getting a bit bored!

Unfortunately, I didn't read anything anniversary related in 2013.  As how long it takes me to read books can be very unpredictable, however, I'd have probably disappointed myself and everyone else by failing to finish the right book at the right time anyway, so that idea's probably safer left on the back burner.

So 2013 was on the whole quite positive.  I nearly made my target (even though it was in fits and starts and there was a sudden late surge) and I finished a few series and kept the variety going in my reading.  But next year I must refocus and keep that list of new releases firmly out of reach!  I also hope to find the time to blog more often, perhaps including more posts related to things I've read to keep you entertained.  One thing I know for sure, though, is that I mustn't get carried away and forget what this is actually all about!

I hope you've enjoy hearing about the books I've read and want to say thank you for your part in this project.  Don't forget that I can be found on Twitter (@Girl_LovesBooks) and love to hear what you think of the project and books I've read.  Happy new year and I hope you have a healthy, successful and enjoyable 2014.

Related Posts

Review of the Year 2012

2013: The Year in Books


February 2013
'My Heart is My Own' by John Guy
'Fluke' by James Herbert

March
'My Word is My Bond' by Roger Moore
'The Man Who Fell to Earth' by Walter Tevis
'The Real Me is Thin' by Arabella Weir

April
'The Other Queen' by Philippa Gregory
'Remember Me?' by Sophie Kinsella

May
'Never Let Me Go' by Kazuo Ishiguro
'Consumed' by Harry Wallop

June
'The Unknown Ajax' by Georgette Heyer

July
'The Lady of the Rivers' by Philippa Gregory
'The White Queen' by Philippa Gregory

August
'The Red Queen' by Philippa Gregory

September
'The Year of the Flood' by Margaret Atwood
'Maddaddam' by Margaret Atwood

October
'The Burning Land' by Bernard Cornwell
'Death of Kings' by Bernard Cornwell

December
'Dracula' by Bram Stoker
'You Made me Late Again!" by Pam Ayres
'The House We Grew up In' by Lisa Jewell
'Him and Me' by Michael and Jack Whitehall