Pages

23 December 2012

The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly?

I've just finished reading 'The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ' by Philip Pullman, one of the Canongate Myth series of books through which authors re-imagine stories from various cultures.  Unfortunately, I didn't know this when I started reading!

'The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ' begins with the idea that not one but two babies were born to Mary in the Bethlehem stable.  While Jesus begins as a mischievous child who grows into a passionate believer and inspirational cult leader, Christ is steeped in scripture and idealises the politics and hierarchy of organised religion.  After an argument about the best way to bring about God's kingdom, Jesus and Christ go their separate ways, although their lives are irrevocably entwined.  As Jesus's following grows, Christ becomes his biographer and, under the influence of an unnamed stranger, is eventually responsible for turning the man into a legend.

This book wasn't really what I expected.  I didn't know that this was part of a series of re-written myths beforehand and, knowing a little about Mr Pullman and his previous work, I expected this novel to be more polemical and rooted in reality, particularly as the title seemed so provocative.  In truth, 'The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ' is much more about the power of storytelling and an exploration of myth-making than a comment on religion or Christianity.

As an alternative history, the story was OK. The style was interesting and well pitched, bringing back childhood memories of reading Ladybird Bible stories.  At times is was so convincing I forgot I was reading a parody!  If you're reading the book as a myth, this is a great strength, but if you're expecting some more realistic twist on the tale, it feels a bit like a case of Stockholm Syndrome.

Because I was looking for thought-provoking ideas and opinions, I felt the most interesting moments were when the characters soliloquised about their faith, expressing doubts and worrying about the consequences of their actions and myth-making.  Unfortunately for me, these moments were few and quite late on in the book.

Overall, I found 'The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ' a bit disappointing, but think this is because I was approaching it from the wrong angle.  It's title and provenance suggested to me a book which gave a new perspective on religious faith, which it clearly isn't.  If you're interested in alternative histories, however, this is a well-written, considered piece that may be of interest to you, although it probably won't knock your sandals off.

Now let's see if we can make this month three in a row!