Pages

18 June 2011

Don't Dys My Topia...

What a week!  I finished 'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley last weekend, but this is the first chance that I've had to post about it.  I have found time to start another book though, so hopefully, despite everything, the wheels won't fall off my project and I'll keep the same pace.  Although I've only been going a month, I'm actually quite pleased with how things are progressing.  Just hope you're still finding my project interesting!

'Brave New World' by
Aldous Huxley (Flamingo
Modern Classics, 1994)
'Brave New World' introduces a vision of the future based on universal 'happiness', then proceeds to dissect it's pros and cons through the eyes of a number of key characters.  It is the year 632 After Ford and the modern world is using a combination of Henry Ford's production line techniques, Sigmund Freud's psychology and complex genetics to purpose-breed humans for specific life roles.  From the Alpha Plus humans (the Rolls Royces of genetic engineering) to the drone-like Epsilon Minus population (more like everyday, robust Fords), everyone's loves and hates are pre-programmed so that they are not only designed for specific jobs, but to be happy in them.  While the cloned lower castes contentedly undertake dull, repetitive jobs in the factories, the higher classes run the major state facilities, such as the Central London Hatchery and Conditioning Centre.  It is here that we learn of the how modern humans are decanted rather than born, programmed rather than educated and drugged rather than doubtful.  Starting at the Hatchery, we meet the characters who will face crisis after discovering that there is more to life than the children of Our Ford have to offer.

I liked this book immensely, even though it was a bit of a challenge.  It's brilliantly written, but it's definitely fuel for the brain.  It's thought provoking from beginning to end and almost timeless in its ideas.  Most would class it as Science Fiction,but I think it's much more than that.  To me, it's about the philosophy of science and ethics and the points where ideas about what's best for people and society clash.  In fact, it's more like an essay or a discussion than a book and that's what makes it interesting.  'Brave New World' creates a picture of a flawed society where at least the majority of people are happy, then asks whether the sacrifice of art, literature, religion and love make it worth it.  Although it's often spoken about in the same breath as George Orwell's 'Nineteen Eighty-Four', it's far less black and white and challenges you to consider what's worth sacrificing for a generally happier world.

I've decided it's time for something a bit more light hearted next, so let's hope I'll race through it and be back to blog soon!